Monday, April 15, 2013

Lanyards and ID Cards

My youngest is a runner. She is turning 2 in May, and she doesn't hesitate to run from us. It could be worse, I know. I've heard of kids that are much faster and more prone to running than she is, but she does like to take off, and she did so while we were at the Children's Museum last month. Fortunately, we noticed right away. Unfortunately, there were tons of kids running around and lots of crowds. We found her surrounded by nice museum employees, kneeling on the ground and talking to her. They were also speaking into radios, and I assume preparing to call for the irresponsible parents of the cutie in front of them over the museum speakers. 

We are heading to DisneyWorld in June, and while I'm sure nothing terrible will happen, I want to be prepared. So, I made them some lanyards for them to wear to carry their information around with them. Most lanyards are too long for them, so I sewed some up using Disney ribbon and attached clasps to them. 

I bought the clasps at JoAnn's for less than $3 for a pack of two. The ribbon I bought at Hobby Lobby ages ago, while it was 50% off. So these little lanyards cost less then $2.50 a piece, which was nice. I already had some little waterproof, zip-up pouches for their ID cards, but you could also laminate your cards as well. 

I probably don't have to explain how to make these, but I will anyway. 

I wanted their lanyards to be sturdy, so I sewed two pieces of ribbon together, cut to their length. Put the pieces face to face to start, and sew across each end. Now, when you flip it right side out, you will have pretty ends when it comes time to attach the clasp. 

Sew up the edge of your ribbon on each side. Now fold them over, wrap both of your ends through your clasp and sew them up nice and neat! Tadaa! If  you have velcro, which I did but opted out of using it, sew only one side through the clasp. Then sew your velcro onto each end, so your lanyard is easier to remove. 


Each card has their name on front, and on the back has their full name, age, a list of known allergies and conditions, who they are in the park with, followed by cell phone numbers. Now they have lanyards to put some Disney Pins on, too! (Those pin lanyards aren't cheap either, so it's nice to save money where you can!)

Another item to check off my list of things to prepare for our trip! 

1 comment:

  1. Cute! And clever. I love the Disney font that you used too.

    June... You're not missing MWFC are you?

    ReplyDelete